Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Taste the Rainbow


My kiddos' birthdays are only 4 days apart, so we'll be celebrating two birthdays in one for as long as I can get away with it.  This year we are celebrating the double birthday with a Yo Gabba Gabba party.  And what could be more fitting for a Yo Gabba Gabba party than a crazy rainbow cake?

Rainbow cakes are all the rage in blogland these days, but I originally saw this idea on Playing House.  This week I made a practice batch of cupcakes just to try out the technique and see exactly how colorful they would be.  I started by mixing up a Betty Crocker white cake mix, then dividing the batter into six small bowls.  Then I used Wilton gel food coloring to tint each bowl a different color of the rainbow...red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  I layered the batter into a cupcake pan filled with paper liners and baked for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

I can honestly say that the process of layering the batter into the cupcake pan took forever and it was difficult to get the same amount of batter in each one, so I'll be sticking to cake form for the birthday party (and possible use 2 boxes of cake mix for a taller cake). And I will definitely be making my own frosting for the party cake, most likely a vanilla buttercream.  Yum!

As Muno would say...Razzle Dazzle!


How awesome is that?  This might be the most colorful birthday party ever!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Those look pretty amazing! Would you come over to my link party tomorrow and share your recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday? http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I know rainbow cakes are all the rage, like you said, but I never tire of them :-) Thanks for sharing your cute little cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those rainbow cupcakes are too cute! I'd love for you to come by and show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Gabba Gabba rocks at our house!!! Love the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! Thanks so much for linking up this fabulous recipe at Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your fun and yummy recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back and visit us tomorrow.
    Thanks again.
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so creative. It's like a work of art in a cupcake!! I bet it tastes great, too. :)

    I'd love for you to link this and any other cupcake post you have at the month long Cupcake Link Party!

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete