Thursday, May 5, 2011

How It All Began...

This is the first quilt I ever made...


I grew up watching my mother sew clothing and my grandmother quilt.  I bought my first sewing machine about 4 years ago and have been chugging away at it ever since!  I may be a little crazy, but I think there's nothing better than cutting up fabric just to sew it back together again!


My first project was a baby quilt for my newborn daughter.  I spent many hours in Hancock Fabrics searching for just the right fabric (decision-making has never been my strong suit.)  I finally settled on a puppy print along with coordinating lavender, aqua, and seafoam green prints.  I chose a lavender solid fabric for the backing and binding.


After some trial and error with a rotary cutter, far too long trying to thread my machine, reading and re-reading and re-re-reading my machine's user manual, some helpful hints from my mom, and some time well spent with internet tutorials, I had finally produced my first quilt.  It was nothing fancy, a simple patchwork of 6 inch squares tied with embroidery thread, but I was very proud of it and my daughter loved it.


After four years, my taste in fabrics have changed, my machine has been upgraded, and my methods have improved, but my first quilt will always hold a special place in my heart.  I hope my daughter will love and treasure it for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe that your daughter and you will treasure your/her first quilt-- my quilt for my daughter (now 8 soon to be 9) is still waiting to be sandwiched!! So kudos to you for finishing!! But the good news is that since I waited so long, there is now minkee-- I plan on using that to make it extra cuddly (and extra challenging to quilt!). Stay tuned, we'll see if I ever complete it!

    ReplyDelete