Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday

My daughter started back to preschool last week, and even though my (now walking/running/climbing) son is a handful and a half, I still manage to squeeze in a few minutes of sewing every day during his naptime.  My to-do list is about ten miles long.  It reminds me of a scene from an old cartoon where a little kid is reading to Santa from his little wish list, and just when Santa thinks he's finished the rest of the paper unrolls and you see that the list is reeeeally long.  Yep, it's like that.  It's time to kick the sewing machine into over drive.

At the moment I'm working on turning this set of strips...


into this...



The 2 1/2" strips are from a jellyroll that I bought at JoAnn's.  Cutting fabric is my least favorite part of the quilting process, so I love buying pre-cut sets of fabric like charm packs, fat quarter bundles, and jellyrolls.  Plus, I am very indecisive and spend way too much time trying to figure out which fabrics look best together, so it's an added bonus that the fabric are already coordinated for me.  I'm sure this particular block has a name, but I have no idea what it is.  I'm just making it up as I go along, trying to make the most efficient use of my jellyroll fabric.  The end product will be a quilt for a family friend who has been recently diagnosed with cancer.  Hopefully I can crank out all of the blocks this week and share a picture of the completed quilt top next week.

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful colors! Good luck as you continue your blocks during naptime! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors are wonderful together. I love precuts too. Such a time saver, and they are so accurate that I feel like my work goes together better. I hear you about nap time, loud and clear! Mine doesn't nap, but I strictly enforce "quiet time". She can do whatever she wants....but I need an hour of quiet every day! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty! i debated buying this same fabric from joanns but have been very good at not spending money on fabric lately, hehehe. found you via sew many ways, love the blocks. best wishes to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, of course! I've wondered what to do with jelly rolls. Cute!

    Since you like using precut fabric, my mom designed a pieced fall table runner with four fat quarters. She posted it on our blog this week, and I'm not a quilter, but I want to give it a try.

    Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete