Monday, August 29, 2011

It's On Like Donkey Kong


Training for my first 5K has officially begun.  I first started the Couch to 5K program last summer, six weeks after Jake was born.  But two weeks into the program I was sidelined by a nasty case of tendinitis in my knee.  I attempted it again around Christmas, but lost interest by week 4.  This time I am determined to see it through to the end.


I am probably one of the least athletic people you will ever meet.  I've never enjoyed running, but for some reason when I was pregnant with Jake I decided that I really wanted to train for a 5K.  A quick Google search led me to the Couch to 5K program, a nine week plan that gradually eases you into running.  You begin by alternating intervals of walking and running, then gradually increase the amount of time you spend running until you can run a full 5K (3.1 miles).  Today was Week 1 Day 1, so I started with a 5 minute warm-up walk, then jogged for 1 minute, then walked for 90 seconds.  I completed 8 running intervals then ended with a 5 minutes cool-down walk.  I'll repeat this workout again on Wednesday and Friday.

The afternoon/evening heat in Texas has been brutal this summer, so my plan is to get up early in the mornings and run before my husband goes to work.  Heat stroke is definitely not on my list of things to do this summer!  ha!


If all goes according to plan, on November 12th I'll be running in a 5K race hosted by Dallas Academy, the school where I used to teach.  Even if I don't run every step, I will be happy to just cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment